Secure Coding mailing list archives

Harvard vs. von Neumann

From: crispin at novell.com (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:41:07 -0700

Steven M. Christey wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Crispin Cowan wrote:

Kind of. I'm saying that "specification" and "implementation" are
relative to each other: at one level, a spec can say "put an iterative
loop here" and implementation of a bunch of x86 instructions.

I agree with this notion.  They can overlap at what I call "design
limitations": strcpy() being overflowable (and C itself being
overflowable) is a design limitation that enables programmers to make
implementation errors.  I suspect I'm just rephrasing a tautology, but
I've theorized that all implementation errors require at least one design
limitation.  No high-level language that I know of has a built-in
mechanism for implicitly containing files to a limited directory (barring
chroot-style jails), which is a design limitation that enables a wide
variety of directory traversal attacks.

I thought that the Java 2 security container stuff let you specify file
accesses? Similarly, I thought that Microsoft .Net managed code could
have an access specification?

AppArmor provides exactly that kind of access specification, but it is
an OS feature rather than a high level language, unless you want to view
AA policies as high level specifications.

If we assumed perfection at the implementation level (through better
languages, say), then we would end up solving roughly 50% of the
software security problem.

The 50% being rather squishy, but yes this is true. Its only vaguely
what I was talking about, really, but it is true.

For whatever it's worth, I think I agree with this, with the caveat that I
don't think we collectively have a solid understanding of design issues,
so the 50% guess is quite "squishy."  For example, the terminology for
implementation issues is much more mature than terminology for design
issues.

I don't agree with that. I think it is a community gap. The academic
security community has a very mature nomenclature for design issues. The
hax0r community has a mature nomenclature for implementation issues.
That these communities are barely aware of each other's existence, never
mind talking to each other, is a problem :)

One sort-of side note: in our "vulnerability type distributions" paper
[1], which we've updated to include all of 2006, I mention how major Open
vs. Closed source vendor advisories have different types of
vulnerabilities in their top 10 (see table 4 analysis in the paper).
While this discrepancy could be due to researcher/tool bias, it's probably
also at least partially due to development practices or language/IDE
design.  Might be interesting for someone to pursue *why* such differences
occur.

Do you suppose it is because of the different techniques researchers use
to detect vulnerabilities in source code vs. binary-only code? Or is
that a bad assumption because the hax0rs have Microsoft's source code
anyway? :-)

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.               http://crispincowan.com/~crispin/