Secure Coding mailing list archives

Comparing Scanning Tools

From: gunnar at arctecgroup.net (Gunnar Peterson)
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 08:27:57 -0500

Hi James,

I think you are right to look at it as economic issue, but the other factor
to add into your model is not just the short term impact to developer
productivity (which is non-trivial), but also the long term effects of
making decisions *not* to deal with finding bugs.

"Cleaning up data breach costs more than encryption

Protecting customer records is a much less expensive than paying for
cleanup after a data breach or massive records loss, research company
Gartner said. Gartner analyst Avivah Litan testified on identity theft
at a Senate hearing held after the Department of Veterans Affairs lost
26.5 million vet identities. "A company with at least 10,000 accounts to
protect can spend, in the first year, as little as $6 per customer
account for just data encryption, or as much as $16 per customer account
for data encryption, host-based intrusion prevention, and strong
security audits combined," Litan said. "Compare [that] with an
expenditure of at least $90 per customer account when data is
compromised or exposed during a breach," she added. Litan recommended
encryption as the first step enterprises and government agencies should
take to protect customer/citizen data. If that's not feasible,
organizations should deploy host-based intrusion prevention systems, she
said, and/or conduct security audits to validate that the company or
agency has satisfactory controls in place."
http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/188702019

Or, Brian Chess once pointed out:
" My favorite historical analogy this month is from medicine: it took
*decades* between the time that researchers knew that fewer people died if
surgeons washed their hands and the time that antisepsis was common in the
medical community.  That lag was entirely due to social factors: if it's
1840 you've been successfully practicing medicine for decades, why would you
want to change your routine?  And yet imagine a modern day surgeon who says
"I'm really busy today, so I'm going to save time by not scrubbing in before
I start the operation."  It's simply unthinkable.  Hopefully software
development is headed in the same direction, but on an accelerated
timetable."

-gp

On 6/7/06 4:08 PM, "McGovern, James F (HTSC, IT)"