Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: How do we improve s/w developer awareness?

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:37:49 +0000

At 2:48 PM -0500 11/11/04, Paco Hope wrote:

On 11/11/04 11:46 AM, "ljknews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
As a software developer, I care about such issues, but the compiliations
you list are largely not applicable to the operating system and programming
languages with which I work.

Advisories, problems, and failures do not have involve your platform or
language to be instructive. In fact, in this age of productization and
commoditization of technology, many of the differences are superficial.

I am still looking for a forum that omits those problems due to choice
of C and related programming languages that use null terminated string.
I know that is a bad idea, and I don't do it.

I am still looking for a forum that omits problems propagated over IP
and related protocols.  I don't do that either.

Sure, the stock exploits won't apply, or maybe the concepts need some
translation, but there is absolutely a good reason to be aware of the
failures in other software. The same marketing that makes us think
FooBarSystems Gronkulator 4.2 is much better than Gronkulator 4.1 makes us
think that security issues written up on Gronulator 4.x have nothing to do
with other versions of Gronkulator, or Linux for that matter. There are a
surprisingly small number of tools in hackers' toolboxes, yet they all seem
to fit lots and lots of software.

I have yet to see a standard "tool" (as distinguished from social
engineering technique) from elsewhere that fits VMS.

Should you join every single mailing list in the world and read every single
post? No. Should you only join the security-[platform]-[language] email list
for the one thing you program? Also no. Somewhere between the extremes of
"read everything you can" and working with blinders on is the "right" place
where you read "stuff that I'm not working on, but informs me." It's not
always an easy place to find. But I reject categorical statements like the
one above that appear to say "if it ain't specific to my platform, it has no
value to me."

No, I am saying "the typical forum is so full of irrelevant material that
it is a waste of my time that should be spent elsewhere".
--
Larry Kilgallen