Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: How do we improve s/w developer awareness?

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef () resourceful com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 12:37:49 +0000

Making software secure should be a requirement of the development process. I've had the priviledge to have worked on
some very good projects where the managers emphasised security in the beginning of the projects life cycle since it was
a requirement of the client.

Unfourtunately, functionality for users takes precedence and Security is usually left as an add-on at the end in most
places.
This is down to managers and the business/clients not giving security the right focus.
I've been told on atleast two projects not to worry about security "because we have a firewall"! Even if they can be
convinced of the benefits of security in depth etc, they still don't want to do it.
That is the mentality that many developers are up against. Couple that to demands on budget and deadlines, it is no
wonder that so much software is insecure.

ys