Secure Coding mailing list archives

How do we improve s/w developer awareness?

From: "Kenneth R. van Wyk" <Ken () krvw com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:52:59 +0000

Greetings,

In my business travels, I spend quite a bit of time talking with Software
Developers as well as IT Security folks.  One significant different that I've
found is that the IT Security folks, by and large, tend to pay a lot of
attention to software vulnerability and attack information while most of the
Dev folks that I talk to are blissfully unaware of the likes of
Full-Disclosure, Bugtraq, PHRACK, etc.  I haven't collected any real stats,
but it seems to me to be at least a 90/10% and 10/90% difference.  (Yes, I
know that this is a gross generalization and there are no doubt significant
exceptions, but...)

I believe that this presents a significant hurdle to getting Dev folks to care
about Software Security issues.  Books like Gary McGraw's Exploiting Software
do a great job at explaining how software can be broken, which is a great
first step, but it's only a first step.

Am I alone in this opinion or have others noticed the same sort of thing?
It's going to be a long, slow battle, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Ken
--
KRvW Associates, LLC