Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: auditing

From: James Walden <jwalden () eecs utoledo edu>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:25:20 +0100

jnf wrote:
hi, simple question that is not very technicla in itself- when auditing
software, I often find it had to stay focused and follow the code so to
speak, especially when jumping across X source files and Y functions
inside of each source file, I was just curious how others cope with such
things? I've just been using vi/text editors to go through it all and I
don't really expect there is a solve all answer, but any hints help.

thoughts?

Are you looking for tools, like ctags or cscope for walking through a
source code base within vi (cscope is quite nice, though I use enscript
to print out the source and do most of my code reading on paper)?  You
may find the book Code Reading: The Open Source Perspective by Spinellis
useful.

--
James Walden, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor of EECS