Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: auditing

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 22:41:56 +0100

jnf wrote:

Someone just suggested ctags, I've never heard of ctags or cscope- I will
look at them. I don't really know what I was looking for,

ctags kind turns C source code into hypertext: you put your cursor on a
function call in a source file, press the magic key, and vi[m] jumps to
the appropriate line in the appropriate source file where that function
is implemented. Press another magic key, and vi[m] jumps back to the
call site. Makes it easy and convenient to do a calling-tree structured
exploration of source code. I found it very valuable for understanding
how a program is intended to function.

I often find it
quite furstrating trying to keep track of whats going on across XX global
variables inside of XX internal functions, and so on- so really anything
that would help me keep track of it, I suppose a debugger and alot of

ctags does not track variables at all. It only does the above hypertext
trick.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/