Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: auditing

From: ljknews <ljknews () mac com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 20:00:43 +0100

At 10:04 AM -0500 5/3/04, jnf wrote:

Someone just suggested ctags, I've never heard of ctags or cscope- I will
look at them. I don't really know what I was looking for, I often find it
quite furstrating trying to keep track of whats going on across XX global
variables inside of XX internal functions, and so on- so really anything
that would help me keep track of it, I suppose a debugger and alot of
breakpoints would be useful. Anyways, as I said I'm not really sure what I
am looking for, hell something that just printed out control flow to some
degree would be nice, anyways I will check out those two tools, and that
book thanks.

What you are looking for is a tool, and a debugger really is not it
(for a thorough job), since a debugger just deals with the current
active call, not all situations in which a subprogram might be called.