Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall Day

From: Brett Hutley <brett () hutley net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:56:45 +0000

der Mouse wrote:
*snip*
(current context is whether to use personal firewalls)

I don't.

Why not?

- Because I don't run malware propagation systems masquerading as
game loaders masquerading as operating systems.

I hear ya.

- Because, in general, I believe in hardening each machine rather
than putting up a fence around weak machines.

- Because I am very hard to infect to start with.  I don't run
anything I don't have source to[%]; while this is by no means a
perfect

*snip*

I agree with what you say. Unfortunately I currently *have* to run a
Windows machine at work [at least until I finish the *nix port of our
software :) ]. I believe every Windows machine HAS to have a personal
firewall - it's just too vulnerable an operating system.

Even at home though, where I use decent operating systems, it's kinda
nice having a logging PFW (or an IDS like snort) that can alert me to
any unusual activity happening in the network around me.

--
Brett Hutley [MAppFin,CISSP,SANS GCIH]
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[Ed. And I'd argue the point that IP Chains / Netfilter *is* a personal
firewall on a Linux desktop.  Here too, though, we're digressing.  Let's

close out this thread, please.  KRvW]