Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: personalFirewallDay

From: "Greenarrow 1" <Greenarrow1 () msn com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:03:01 +0000

I have been reading all the posts concering this.  It seems a lot of you are
mssing the point as it is about home users not having any security on the
ir machines.  Being in the computer forensics field I see lots of computers
that do not have one iota of security.  I would say better then 96% of home
users have no inkling of what a firewall or A/V device is or what it does.
This is not about techies or programmers but about the lack of the industry
not making this a priority when selling their computers.  Programmers
and the technical ones know what needs to be done to secure their machines
but the average home user has no idea except for some of the few companies
that seem to shove their brand of firewall/AV  down the buyers throat.  I test
and retest and examine security devices and I will state this most are
not worth $1.00 nor the average of $39.99 for them.  Plus the instructions
of how to set the programs up takes a engineering degree to understand what
the maker is even trying to tell the user.

This day was suppose to be to make the average home user aware of security
devices but it looks like it has failed at this point.  Tell me this how many
home users (first time buyers) know commands or ways to secure their
computers?

Regards,
George
Greenarrow1
InNetInvestigations-Forensics

[Ed. I agree that PFW day is about the lay user, not about programmers per se.
For that reason, I'm closing this thread out now.  FWIW, as the designated
"IT guy" in much of my extended family, I can really sympathize with
anything that makes the general public more aware of how to better
secure their home PCs.  But that's not our mission here on SC-L.  KRvW]