Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: User Education Tool?

From: George Capehart <gwc () acm org>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 01:41:05 +0000

On Thursday 04 March 2004 10:17 am, Andreas Saurwein wrote:
On a somewhat abstract line of thinking, in regards to the latest
virus outbreaks, one idea came up which might be even useful:

I think that we all agree that the current outbreak of Netsky, Bagle
and others is mainly because users still try to open everything they
receive, no matter how weird it is.

Now, doing something really flashy like creating an virus like
application as follows:
* it is sent as zipped attachment
* when opened, it brings a huge, clear message, that the user would
now have been infected with a virus. A short, understandable message
explaining why and how to avoid it would be appropriate.
* it asks the user for permission to forward itself to the users
contacts, to help spreading the education.

Would that still classify as virus? Or would that pass as something
else? Would a measure like this be of any success? What other measure
could reach the critical user groups?

Probably this has been discussed on some lists already, but didnt
find any references.

There is an ancient (well, in Internet time) command line tool that is
useful in this situation .  .  .  To see the man page:

man lart

If you don't have access to a *nix machine, see
http://www.geocities.com/urifrid/man-lart.html

Enjoy!

/g
--
George W. Capehart

Key fingerprint:  3145 104D 9579 26DA DBC7  CDD0 9AE1 8C9C DD70 34EA

"Does getiud(2) halt the spawning of child processes?"
  -- Unknown from a very old fortune cookie file