Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Strategies for teaching secure coding practices

From: Steve Litt <slitt () troubleshooters com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:02:01 +0000

On Friday 12 December 2003 10:05 am, you wrote:

I am a recent subscriber to this list and also an educator.  I teach
primarily undergraduate courses, often the first and second semester
courses, and I am very interested to hear from the list what you all
consider to be important "secure coding" topics to cover in these
first-year classes.  Also, what topics to you feel should be covered
in an undergraduate curriculum but later than the first year?

1. If you must use pointers or memory copies, be very, very careful!
2. When accepting user input, test it.
3. Never let the user write in the name of a process or subroutine to run.
4. Always truncate excess user input.
5. Permissions
6. How to handle files writeable by CGI
7. Validate all incoming URL's.