Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Strategies for teaching secure coding practices

From: Keith Watson <kaw () cerias purdue edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:54:53 +0000

On Dec 12, 2003, at 10:05 AM, Carl G. Alphonce wrote:

I am a recent subscriber to this list and also an educator.  I teach
primarily undergraduate courses, often the first and second semester
courses, and I am very interested to hear from the list what you all
consider to be important "secure coding" topics to cover in these
first-year classes.  Also, what topics to you feel should be covered
in an undergraduate curriculum but later than the first year?

At Purdue, the CS department has a secure programming class that is
closely tied to an undergraduate course on operating systems.  It is a
more advanced course (300-level).  It is generally a popular course
here often with a long wait list.

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/cs390s/

The web site has information on the topics taught and includes slides,
homework, and lab handouts.  I would offer this information as one
method of instruction.

The instructor, Pascal Meunier, is a staff researcher here at CERIAS.

Keith