Secure Coding mailing list archives

Re: Strategies for teaching secure coding practices

From: "Jared W. Robinson" <jwr () xmission com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 04:18:25 +0000

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 10:05:49AM -0500, Carl G. Alphonce wrote:
... I am very interested to hear from the list what you all
consider to be important "secure coding" topics to cover in these
first-year classes.  Also, what topics to you feel should be covered
in an undergraduate curriculum but later than the first year?

I find that anecdotal stories are important to emphasize the importance
of secure coding practices. You could say something like "Who remembers
the Blaster, Welchia or SoBig worms? They are estimated to have caused X
million dollars in damage. The worms exploited a buffer overflow, which
is what we're going to talk about today...."

It's also important to teach studends some basic risk assessment. For
example, What is the risk of shipping the product with buffer overflow
bugs? How will the product be used and in what environment?  What kinds
of security requirements does the customer have?

Remember that security is not usually the goal of building software.
Building a tool that helps people solve problems (usually so that you
can make a profit) is the goal.  Unfortunately, there are security
threats that will make the tool unable to deliver value, so developers
have to plan countermeasures that will mitigate those threats in a
cost-effective manner. Not all countermeasures are worth the cost they
take to implement. Some countermeasures introduce other risks.

If people focus too much on security, they may never deliver a product
that can make enough money to fund continued development. Not only that,
but software is never completely "secure". It can only be "secure
enough" for a certain set of conditions.

Risk assessment can help define "secure enough".

- Jared Robinson

--
"It's a well known technology truism that [not] all of the smart people
work for you, and that one of the surest ways to success is to get more