Politech mailing list archives

FC: Replies to DoJ's Joel Klein and breaking up Microsoft

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:59:28 -0400

***********

From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <hallam () ai mit edu>
To: <declan () well com>, <politech () vorlon mit edu>
Subject: RE: DoJ's Joel Klein explains why judge must break up Microsoft
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:06:43 -0400

Klein is an utter fool.

AT&T was an absolutely hidebound monolith that refused to countenance the
slightest innovation. Comparing Microsoft to AT&T is just ridiculous.

AT&T had an absolute monopoly on providing telephone service, there was no
other provider to turn to.

Neither the infrastructure used to deliver telephone service nor the service
itself changed measurably from the invention of the Strouger automated
telephone exchange to the breakup. The principle complaint made against
Microsoft is that they unfairly compete by outdeveloping their competitors,
matching them feature for feature for as long as it takes them to tire.

So Klien thinks a browser takes 'hundreds of millions to develop'. I got
news for him. We wrote three browsers at CERN and none had so much as an
entire man year spent on them. If it wasn't for the junk thrown in by
Netscape there would still be viable open source alternatives to IE and
Netscape.

                Phill