Politech mailing list archives

FC: Report from House subcommittee hearing on LOVE BUG today

From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:54:35 -0400

********

Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 13:25:55 -0400
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson () greendragon com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>
Subject: Virus hearing, House Science Subcommittee on Technology

Hearing this morning, with a number of notable events (from my point of
view).  One early issue is why it took so long for government agencies
to react.  (You and I know from Sean Donelan's "Alert timeline for
Love Bug" that the FBI was about 5 hours behind NANOG.)

Weiner (D-NY) was beating up the anti-virus vendors for not
proactively defending against it.  Rivers (D-MI) asked why we are
criticizing the bank guards when the Windows were left wide open --
the self-executing Outlook attachments violate the MIME security
recommendations (since 1991).

Someone (ICSA, I think) stated that security exploits should never be
published, and need a restriction on 1st Amendment.

Also, various statements that security information needs to be kept
proprietary, through various industry associations, and what is
shared with government should not be subject to FOIA.

Differing opions expressed on whether NIST should be involved in
setting standards, or should be left to private industry.

Differing opinions on whether breakup of M$ would help or hinder
detection of security flaws.  (I'm on the help side, as revealing
the interfaces will benefit from public scrutiny.)

Lots of other self-serving proclaimations that might benefit from your
jaundiced reporting eye.