Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Bypass grub edit protection password

From: Mark <security () internecto net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 20:33:16 +0000

Hello list!

I'm doing a physical pentest of the blackbox network security device
and need your help in it :).

I'm assuming that you can't open the box... if F2 doesn't work, you
can try DEL or some other special keys- not all BIOS uses F2...

However if it DOES use any function key, via serial they often don't
work (for me). Try Esc,2 (the number two, not F2).

My BIOS wants F4 when I use the serial port. Pressing F4 has no effect
but Esc followed by 4 does work.

you
can also try facerolling the keyboard. By that, I mean just mashing as
many keys at once repeatedly while it's POSTing. You may either annoy
it enough that it does something new, it it thinks there is a keyboard
error and will halt.

Thanks for the giggle. This was exactly how I used to enter my
teacher's login combination with a 90% success rate. It was some
arcane DOS application back in the 90s.

Of course he failed me once he saw me do it.