Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Bypass grub edit protection password

From: Juan Pablo <juan.quine () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:40:40 -0500

What have you found in ethernet ports?

Anything ussable?
Maybe a web interfase, it could have some bugs and enter by there.
Or try to analize each port independently, first identify what
protocol is working on each one, then, order your self, to try with
each port as an independently machine.

Did you got the manuals? or have you access to them? what sort of
mecanisms did it use to configure, or to setup the equipment.

Don't think in a onebug-root thing, you have to work in stages, first
identify everything you got of the box, for what it serves, what
services it use, search for many fabric, or support manuals (if there
some), from that, search for each way the equipment has to setup, or
configure, search any possibility to alter something there. Any
default or rescue thing could give you default password access. Then
go for serial, see what can you get, and what can you give to the box,
in order to get something there, have you tried execute grub by
commands manually? so you could get some different access via grub
(see grub documentation, there are some commands might be useful).

Then go each port, try bruteforce, where ever you could, maybe a
customized script. But I start on the web interfases, there always is
some mini bug that could be useful. Spider the site, try a guest user
if not a better one. At least to get more information of files or
services,and with luck some injection.

And continue working with each service. If nothing works, start
fuzzing each service, and go search some 0 day bug.

I have not more ideas at the moment.
I hope that will help.

Juan Pablo.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Carlos Pantelides