Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: career advice

From: Enis Sahin <enis.c.sahin () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 16:17:26 +0200

There are great replies posted but I just wanted to share my thoughts
about programming skills and hacking/pentesting in short.

Being able to read code and understand it is essential just like
everybody said. Being able to write code is a little different in my
opinion. I was getting things done without writing my own code and
tools/scripts developed by others was satisfying my needs for some
time. It's only after I had some years of experience I had a better
attacker mind set and wanted/needed to utilize more elaborate
strategies, then the free tools started falling short of satisfying my
needs.

I find it analogous to playing a musical instrument. When your
understanding and ideas of music exceeds a certain threshold you stop
playing cover songs and start innovating :)

Enis