Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: run nmap automatically from index.html (??)

From: "Ward, Jon" <Jon_Ward () SYNTELINC COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:50:09 -0500

One possible solution:
1.) Use Apache Tomcat and have each client request index.jsp instead of
index.html.
2.) In index.jsp, include lines similar to this (I haven't tested it, so
you may have to fiddle with it.):
        String  cmd = "./nmap -sS -v -O -P0 " + request.getRemoteAddr()
+ " > " + request.getRemoteAddr() + ".txt &";
        Process proc = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(cmd);
3.) Figure out how you're going to keep from filling up the web server's
DASD with loads of nmap output.  Think also about the processing power
of the server.  If 50 clients all connect and run nmap at the same time,
how's that going to affect things?  This could quickly turn into an easy
to DoS your own web server.

Another:
1.) Use Apache Tomcat and have each client request index.jsp instead of
index.html.
2.) In index.jsp, include a Server Side Include tag similar to this, but
change the command to something like the nmap line above.
          <!--#exec cmd="cat /etc/passwd"-->

There are (>)hundreds of ways to execute something upon (>)hundreds of
events related to a web server receiving a request.  Let your
imagination run wild!!

Jon Ward, CEPT, CISA
Technical Lead - Syntel Information Security
jon_ward () syntelinc com