Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: run nmap automatically from index.html (??)

From: Sarah Loyd <sarahloyd () mac com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:47:27 +0000

Consider using arpwatch.
Best Regards Sarah

On 16 Nov 2011, at 15:26, Justin Rogosky wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't depend on employees visiting a web page to
determine if unauthorized equipment is attached to the network.  While
spoofable, the best way to determine attachment is using MAC
addresses.  For nmap to accomplish this, it needs to be on the same
subnet as the target system.  Depending on network segmentation, this
may not be possible.

Aside from that, I would watch DHCP logs to determine when a new
system is added to the network.  In conjunction with regular nmap
sweeps, this should help find all of the systems on the network.

Just my 2 cents.

--Justin