Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment of VLAN

From: Curt Purdy <infosysec () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:12:58 -0500

Cannot answer #1, but would be interested if there is anything
analogous to dsniff on a switched network for VLANs.

As for #2, the type and brand of firewall makes a lot of difference,
in particular in which vulns & configuration problems you might be
looking for. A nice tool for cisco is CIS rat (just feed in the
config, and it will spit out problems it finds). A nice short generic
whitepaper is one by Bennet Todd.

If you are talking about auditing and not pen-testing, look for old,
no longer used ACLs. Of the hundreds of lines, many are useless, and
may do more harm than good. I have seen holes intentionally stuck in
the middle of lists that no one ever saw because it was a rat's nest.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSNA, GSEC, MCSE+I, CCNA
infosysec () gmail com
purdy () tecman com

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 4:16 AM, informationhacker08