Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Penetration testing professional certifications

From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:50:25 -0500

sapran <sapran () gmail com> writes:

Dear Penetration Testers,

I am looking for advice of an experienced penetration testers
regarding the certification path to choose. My goal and reason in
taking a certification exam is not a certification by itself but the
opportunity to learn from preparation materials, fill the gaps in
skill set and experience, as well as align the expertise with current
"best practices" in the field.

I knew about CEH/LPT path from EC Council and SANS's GPEN before and
I've discovered IACRB's CPT/CEPT lately, however I'm having hard time
trying to assess them in comparison. I would appreciate any help in
comparing the subject domains, expected effort and potential benefits
of these certification as well as those I've not encountered yet.
Maybe some results are already out there and you could share the links
to related materials?

Thank everyone in advance.

CEH->ECSA->LPT does not currently require a practical.
CEPT requires a practical, iirc.
SANS GPEN I'm not familiar with their requirements.

The Advanced ethical hacking course I had with Jack Koziol (did the
original Shellcoder's Handbook edition) from Infosec Institute where
you could do ECSA/LPT and/or CEPT as options.
http://infosecinstitute.com/courses/advanced_ethical_hacking_training.html

Mindshare wise, I haven't run into many folks who have even heard of
the CEPT, but their practical requirement at least at the time had as
part of it fuzzing, finding vulns in a binary, reverse engineering,
and exploit writing with stack and heap overflows.  You'd definitely
learn great stuff along the way.

However, Offensive Security's OSCP course/cert really seem to be the
gold standard out there there, and I haven't run into anyone who
hasn't felt like they've learned a ton from it, and it holds the most
cachet among penetration testers.  It's very challenging.
http://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos