Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: OSCP ?

From: tic () eternalrealm net
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:39:29 +0100

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Phil wrote:
First post here,.... Looking for opinions of, or experience with the OSCP (Offensive Security Certified Pentester)
curriculum.

Hi Phil,

from the perspective of someone who is currently somewhere in the middle
of the online course I'd like to add that it will probably take quite a
while to complete.

So if you're enrolling while already being on a full time job make sure
to communicate to your boss that this is not a "5 days -> take exam ->
get cert" exercise.

It took me approximately 80 hours to go through the docs, watch the
videos, complete the basic exercises and finish the extra mile stuff
(approach being to really do everything, even stuff I knew already).

However before taking the actual exam you have to finish all of the
labs, that is penetrate all of the lab systems and create the docs.
When signing up you are advised to buy the course in combination with 60
days of lab time -> you will need that time!
If you're doing the lab parts in parallel to your daily work you'll
probably need even more.

I don't know how long people take on average to complete all of the
labs. With the starter network containing ~ 50 systems - most of which
should according to my understanding be penetrated - and several
networks following prepare to invest a serious amount of time.

The documentation as well as the labs have so far been of really high
quality, I've thoroughly enjoyed them and learned a lot.

So to sum it up:
Great course, you'll learn a lot just make sure to reserve enough time
and if you're sponsored by your company communicate prior to the course
that additional lab time might be needed.

tic