Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Fwd: Evaluating pentesters

From: Daniel Hood <dsmhood () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 20:53:28 +1100

I'm usually on the otherside of the fence with this sort of stuff
(Being a pen-tester). But I guess the easiest way to weed out those
"cash-hungry" bogans who just use tools like Nessus and such and then
hand you the scan results and those people who have a little bit of
experience with metasploit and think they are the best, is to check
into their companies and make sure they have some kind of RnD
department. Not a product RnD department, but one thats doing actual
original research into vulnerabilities and has a couple of original
whitepapers on their website about various forms of pen-testing.

Companies that do research and publish exploits, that they have
researched and written usually are the ones that are worth their coin.
And if you have a quick flick through their whitepapers, you can
usually get a good feel of how they work and some of the methodologies
they use. Instead of trying to work out whether they are BS'ing or
giving you gold in a first interview when you ask them about
methodologies and skill levels...

Just my two cents,

Daniel