Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Evaluating pentesters

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:40:15 +0100

Hi,

Or maybe have a yearly competition from the guys at ISECOM and publish
the results.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, in reality most pen-test companies won't subject themselves to such a bake-off because they might not win and they certainly don't want to be published as a loser. We have worked on some ways to show who's good without showing who's bad and while I think we can do regular bake-offs, I think a good security company is found in their accountability rather than any mythical or even valid but poorly quantifiable criteria. Remember, any Tester can have an off day and any Analyst can miscommunicate results. Furthermore, in a thorough security test, which is about evaluating balanced protection as action items for remediation, there is less to say about who's better as all should be fairly equal at such a task (the discrepancy is often a result of being able to afford commercial tools to do certain things faster or more in depth but not necessarily more thorough or better). So what it comes down to in the end is Accountability: who's going to sign off and stand by what they have determined and who's going to cover their asses with circular talk and bull about no stopping persistent hackers....

So if you want to make sure you get the security test you want, ask for them to do a STAR (Security Test Audit Report). It provides accountability without forcing companies to compete. We'll be releasing the newest version soon but the original version is still available here: www.isecom.org/ravs

The STAR will have them sign off on their findings as well as clearly state what was not tested. All this is well explained in OSSTMM 3 that we've wrapped up and are preparing now for public release.

Sincerely,
-pete.

Managing Director, ISECOM