Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Professional Scrpt Kiddies vs Real Talent

From: "Adriel T. Desautels" <ad_lists () netragard com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:19:36 -0500

Comments embedded below:

On Mar 8, 2010, at 7:55 PM, simonis () myself com wrote:

You need to be cautious about creating an overly narrow definition of the security field with your focus on
penetration testers versus "hackers".

When shouldn't a penetration tester be a hacker?

 While those on the list you cite may well be the top researchers in the commercial space, there are numerous other
places researchers live and may never get noticed due to the nature of their jobs.

Hence why I made the correction to our blog: " As far as I am concerned, these are some of the best guys in the
industry:"  When I first wrote it I wrote it as if the list was all inclusive, and that's just impossible. My mistake.

Also, you ignore the much broader view of the practitioners of every stripe and discount the impact those putting the
research into practice can have on the field.

Care to elaborate? I might be having an idiot moment here, but I'm not following what you are trying to communicate.

 You also ignore security executives, who shape the industry with their buying patterns and influence on the
corp/gov't agenda.

What does that have to do with what I wrote?

Also, your premise that you understand the fundamentals may be flawed.  For every case where you can cite expertise
requires detail mastery (e.g., the medical field) I can cite a counter point where you can excel with much more
shallow insight into the fundamentals (e.g., does a race car driver need to understand internal combustion?).

Actually, as someone that raced cars for a while, understanding the inner workings of the engine is very important. You
learn how it sounds, you understand what is happening, all of that lends to you being able to push harder and faster.

 A large part of the art a penetration tester uses is knowing which tool is applicable to the task at hand,
regardless of if they know at the byte level what that tool does.  They can still provide value without having a
detail understanding of assembly.

Sure they can still provide value, but they can not provide the same depth as someone that understands the byte code.
When you are trying to defend against a threat that might very well understand that low-level detail, don't you want to
be tested by someone that does too?

Would you want to ride in a tank in Iraq if the armor was only ever tested with a BB Gun?  I sure wouldn't.  Test using
a reproduction of the real threat so that you can build real defenses.

Using myself as an example, I have an advanced degree in CompSci and do understand the fundamentals of what an
exploit is doing, but I'm absolutely useless as a penetration tester.  I find it boring, preferring the soft side of
security (making people take the issue seriously) much more and find it to be immeasurably more challenging.  I'm not
alone there.

Nope, you're certainly not.  In fact, we have quite a few friends that fall into the R&D category but they are not
penetration testers.  Doing any interesting research right now?

-ds