Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: "MIPS" Pentesting

From: Elliot Fernandes <elliotfernandes () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 05:43:39 -0800 (PST)

For the nmap scan, all I get is:

Interesting ports on 192.168.5.2:
Not shown: 99 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE VERSION
23/tcp open  telnet  ZKSoftware ZEM300 embedded linux telnetd (Kernel 2.4.20; MIPS)
Service Info: Host: Treckle; OS: Linux

I did a UDP scan but no ports were open, so I couldn't use SNMP to gather data that would allow me to access the
device's login hash. A TCP scan reveals only one open port, 23. I'm still prompted for a login when I connect to port
23. It doesn't seem to use default passwords like Admin, admin, password, etc, and I couldn't find a default password
for this device in any default password list. I tried to force a buffer overflow into the device by using a very long
password string by doing:

ncat 192.168.5.2 23 < /dev/random

and at the same time I was Hping'ing the device to check it's uptime. But it didn't reboot...That's all the info I have
on the device. If I get a shell, I'll post info on how the compiler compiles my exploits, and how exploits, if
possible, work under this device.