Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: felons as pen testers

From: <CTLucca () wlrk com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 13:22:27 +0000

It's a tough decision to make.  On the one hand you want a pen tester who is capable of providing the best assessment
possible of your environment.  On the other, you need to be certain your staff doesn't go rogue and essentially abuse
the relationship.  Look at the Albert Gonzalez case, the government thought they had a wolf in sheep's clothing ,
turned out he was still a wolf.  I would also like bring up a story relayed to me by a colleague who said a company
hired a person previously convicted of identity theft only to have that person do it again.  I'm not saying every
convicted felon is certainly going to return to a life of crime, but in this industry our ethical standards and our
integrity must, above all else, be beyond reproach.  Having a convicted felon on your staff, while it may help prove
you have one of the best pen testers on your team, will always carry a higher degree of risk that they may be doing
more than you want.

Another thing to consider, who audits the auditors?  A good risk program will have proper checks and balances to make
sure access isn't abused and that everyone is more or less monitored.  If your best pen tester is a felon, how can you
be sure that you are able to watch them?  That's my two cents.