Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: How to become a pentester

From: Danux <danuxx () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 02:29:01 -0600

It depends, there are different levels of pen testers, the ones who
only run tools, in which case Organizations does not need them since
they can do the same thing, and the ones who create their one exploits
based on the Organization being tested. You will not be able to cover
all the pieces by yourself, commonly, there should be a team with
different skills, some with good experience in the networking side
(routes, switches, firewalls, ids/ips, etc), other with background in
Application Security, other in different flavors of Operating Systems
and so on, so I kinda disagree with Andres, since for me to become a
real pen tester which means acting as real hacker is too too far away
from I guy who holds CE|H and or Security +.

Now, you as a student, you gotta start from scratch (as all of us), I
mean, you need to join a Company doing pen testing, be part of the
testing team, learn, learn and learn and then you will get to a point
where is up to you to decide if you wanna become a high-skill
pentester by getting training from different sources and mainly doing
your own research or as I said, the other option is just keep running
hundreds of tools as taught by CE|H, sorry, I am not a fan of this
certification, actually ... it sucks!!!! specially because they named
you an Ethical Hacker once you pass their written exam.

Again, all training is good, specially when you are trying to get more
experience, just choose the right path based on your expectations.

Hope this helps.