Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: felons as pen testers

From: "Charlton, Ceri (CSS)" <Ceri.Charlton () capita co uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:31:34 -0000

Another angle to consider:

Scenario 1)
You run thorough checks on a promising candidate, they come back clean.
You hire them and shortly afterwards, they commit a crime using the
information they've been given access to. There's an investigation, it's
found you did everything right other than trust this individual.

Scenario 2)
An otherwise promising candidate is upfront about a past criminal
conviction for computer crime. You run thorough checks on them and this
is confirmed, but no other offences are listed. After careful
consideration, you give them the benefit of the doubt and hire them.
They then commit a crime using the information they've been given access
to. There's an investigation, it's found you did everything right other
than trust this individual.

The grilling you would get from the auditors, senior management and your
customers would be *far* worse in scenario 2. Any individuals within
those groups who were of the opinion that "a wolf is always a wolf"
would likely feel their stance is completely vindicated by this breach
and you would be in a very weak position to argue this with them.

Personally, I would not be totally against hiring an ex-convict on
principle, but the above point is one of the main things that would
dissuade me. If I was convinced that they were reformed and the right
person for the job, I would consider them. They would have to be
markedly better than the other candidates for me to be prepared to take
this risk and also serve a longer time in a less privileged post to
build that level of trust before being given access to the crown jewels.
Then nature of the offence would be a huge factor too: Someone convicted
of shoplifting a CD as a teenager is a thief too, but it's less relevant
than someone who had a prior conviction for, say, stealing large volumes
of customer data from a previous employer.

Psychologists have been saying, "The best indicator of future behaviour
is past behaviour" for decades. There are notable exceptions and it is
only an indicator after all, but it is a strong one.