Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Hydra Help

From: Harry Hoffman <hhoffman () ip-solutions net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 14:37:33 -0400

It would seem that the SMTP server doesn't support LOGIN, probably b/c the transport isn't encrypted and you aren't using STARTTLS. But it might be that the service doesn't support LOGIN and only supports other AUTH mechanisms.

Try this:
telnet <fqdn.of.your.mail.server> 25
ehlo <fqdn.of.your.client>

report back what's shown.

Cheers,
harry

maash.rajani () gmail com wrote:
I just started using Hydra. Got a successful authentication over a pop3 service.
Trying the same username and password over the smtp service using hydra's "smtp-auth" module.
My understanding was hydra can try dictionary attack over an smtp service which uses NTLM hashing, my enumerationg
results over the listening smtp confirms that it uses NTLM authen type.

Yet using Hydra gives me the following results:

command: hydra -l username -p password(text) -o output.txt -v -V xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Output Error: SMTP AUTH LOGIN error: 504 5.7.4 unrecognized authentication type

Prove to peers and potential employers without a doubt that you can actually do a proper penetration test. IACRB CPT and CEPT certs require a full practical examination in order to become certified.
http://www.iacertification.org