Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Hydra Help

From: maash.rajani () gmail com
Date: 3 Apr 2010 13:47:30 -0000

I just started using Hydra. Got a successful authentication over a pop3 service.
Trying the same username and password over the smtp service using hydra's "smtp-auth" module.
My understanding was hydra can try dictionary attack over an smtp service which uses NTLM hashing, my enumerationg
results over the listening smtp confirms that it uses NTLM authen type.

Yet using Hydra gives me the following results:

command: hydra -l username -p password(text) -o output.txt -v -V xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Output Error: SMTP AUTH LOGIN error: 504 5.7.4 unrecognized authentication type