Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: Weird Nmap Behavior

From: mhellman () taxandfinance com
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:34:52 -0500 (CDT)

As nice as NMAP is, there is no magic.  Either get a dump or add the
--packet-trace option and you can tell exactly why nmap is telling you
this.  By default, I believe nmap tries ICMP echo request and port 80 for
host discovery. Perhaps there is some proxy ARP going on or a captured
portal which results in all port 80 requests being answered?  The packets
do not lie...

I have noticed this as well, and it happens specifically when I try to
scan over my Cisco devices.  Locally, it works fine if there are no
devices in the middle.  The command I am using is 'nmap -sP
xxx.xxx.xxx.0/24'.  I only have 23 devices on that subnet powered on, yet
NMAP shows them all "up".

I've noticed this behavior in the last 2 versions, for sure.  For example,
there are no devices on any of the following IP's, and the scanning
machine is behind an ASA:

........ Truncated...........
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.241 is up (0.0089s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.242 is up (0.011s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.243 is up (0.00070s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.244 is up (0.0090s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.245 is up (0.011s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.246 is up (0.00078s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.247 is up (0.0086s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.248 is up (0.011s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.249 is up (0.00072s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.250 is up (0.0087s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.251 is up (0.0086s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.252 is up (0.0013s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.253 is up (0.00094s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.254 is up (0.0072s latency).
Host xxx.xxx.xxx.255 is up (0.0094s latency).
Nmap done: 256 IP addresses (256 hosts up) scanned in 5.58 seconds