Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Weird Nmap Behavior

From: Tim <tim-pentest () sentinelchicken org>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 08:17:20 -0700

Now note that we know for a fact that out of the 16 IP's we scanned
not all were live. So we did expect atleast some to be down. But
strangely Nmap said that all 16 IP's were "up". Sure all ports were
filtered - but the IP's were up. We're running SYN scans with a -PN
switch as well and am quite sure it wasn't our firewall doing this -
because we weren't doing any blocking as such( 3 IP's were live -
ping).

By using '-PN' you are explicitly telling nmap that every host is
alive so don't ping it.  It's just giving you back what you told it.

A better approach to determine what hosts are alive is to use an '-sP'
scan with complex -P options (which can include UDP and TCP probes on
multiple ports as well as different ICMP queries and a whole host of
other things).  Then if any of those probes comes back, nmap will
treat it as alive.

tim