Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Things to do before vulnerability disclosure

From: Justin Ferguson <jnferguson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 07:44:33 +0700

I'm guessing the OP is not in the US in which case you might find
yourself in legal trouble depending on your countries laws and you'd
probably be off doing a google search on the subject than talking to a
very US-centric list that's bound to give you potentially incorrect
advice (i.e. below). Figure that out, then decide your own set of
ethics, it's your bug, do what you want with it.

If you're curious for mainline 'ethics', you can dig through old
advisories and find links to many researchers own disclosure policy.

Mine personally is:

if you paid me to find it: its up to you what I do with it
otherwise: it's my bug and I'll do what I want, when I want and how I
want. If you don't like it, program better.