Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Using 0days as part of pen-test?

From: ArcSighter Elite <arcsighter () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:02:50 -0500

David Howe wrote:
  Do you have a remedial/workaround you can offer them?

Of course I could develop one custom patch, but as far as I can see the
vulnerability affected several paths of the code, so I might be
missing/introducing bugs with the patch. Developing a really secure
patch will take time, maybe even more time that it will take to the
vendor, who's in posses of the source. Time I normally don't have, by
the way.

If so, all I can
suggest is that you document it purely as "vulnerable to undisclosed
attack <randomly chosen four digit number or embargoed CVE/CERT number>"
and add the workaround; if they query it, just say that you are
contractually obliged to not disclose the vulnerability, pending a
vendor response and patch rollout. It can help if you can imply (without
stating) that you are licensing undisclosed 0days (would that be a
-1day?) and hence that your service offers a "deeper" check than you
could get as a skilled amateur without "contacts" in the field.

It doesn't seem pretty ethical to me the CVE-stuff. But you got a point
of only reporting them they're vulnerable to an undisclosed, but then
how they fix?

  The real question there though is that, modulo that 0day, could you
have compromised their network? or did you drop everything else and rush
in to expand your bridgehead?

My audit hasn't finished, as I said, I skipped over a few things when I
identified the vulnerable software, that's what I was talking about.
But the fact is that even when I finish, it doesn't seem good to me to
omit the 0day.

Well, you should really eliminate any information you could not have
gotten some other way, then do a review of their security on that basis;
Really, the best *anyone* can do in a pentest is "without knowledge of
vulnerabilities not known in the art (undisclosed 0days) this network is
secure" and that is *always* true. For any network, however secure,
there could (and will be) some as yet undocumented vulnerability that
will render it a decorative bandaid not a security solution.

Pretty interesting. That's exactly how I've approached until I got into
software vulnerability research.

Your dilemma really is that, on the basis of privileged information
not available to an average attacker, you *can* compromise their
network, and you (as a paid consultant) owe a duty of care to that
customer to block or reduce that exposure as best you can; note that you
can require (of your customer) that certain parts (or all) of the report
be treated under NDA (that is routine anyhow) and usually, you can
phrase the remedial action in a way as to make it hard to
reverse-engineer the original 0day from it (recommending a substitute
free ftp product if that is not a special case platform, even if only as
a temporary solution until the vendor "catches up")

An attacker who knows about the flaw, will get access to the same
information I've gathered. I don't trust the term *average* attacker
these days, IMHO distributed attacks against companies aren't taken down
by script kiddies these days.
Revisiting the patch topic, providing them with a custom mitigating
factor seemed to be the most accessible solution, as far as I can see,
so I will provide them with the so-called custom-patch that fix the
SPECIFIC issue - anyway, I haven't programmed it, right?- and IDS
signatures.