Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability scanners don't work

From: Erin Carroll <amoeba () amoebazone com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:06:17 +0000 (UTC)

Based on list member feedback and direction from SecurityFocus, I have to second the moderator response from Teo Adams of the security-basics list on this issue. Quoting his post to security-basics:

"ATTENTION

Messages similar to the one originating this thread (ie I updated my blog come see, here's my website, etc.) will no longer be approved to this list. Perhaps it shouldn't have been approved in the first place but oversights occur from time to time.

Furthermore, positive/productive discussion related to this thread will be approved only for the sake of closure. However, since the thread is 'heated' I suggest taking further discussion to private emails. The proposed poll is meaningless and has no bearing on the actions of the moderators of the list so any messages in response to the poll or that otherwise stray from the original topic will be rejected.

Thank you."

Because the discussion so far has been very relevant to pen-testing I'll allow on-topic and insightful posts on this thread to continue for closure but further posts that link to off-site discussion websites/blogs/etc will no longer be approved. I have no objection if members want to post the entire blog entry or some edited version of it to the list, but let's keep the discussion for the pen-test list *on* the pen-test list.

Thanks,

*note: I applaud Adriel Desautels work and contributions to the security community and the pen-test list and thank him for his always insightful and interesting discussion. This moderation policy change isn't singling anyone out but cross-postings, external blog links, etc increase the workload necessary to moderate. I get enough email as it is :-)

--
Erin Carroll
Moderator, SecurityFocus pen-test list