Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Federally Mandated Certification of cybersecurity professionals?

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:55:53 +0200

Hi,

The field evolves far too quickly for it to be possible to create any
meaningful technical exam and apply it across the entire
InfoSec/CyberSecurity/bureaucratic buzzword of the day industry.  The

I don't think the question here is just one of technology. Since the changes (I'd need a good argument to call many of them "advances") do occur at a fast pace even if just to have a market differentiator, it would not have to be a technical exam in the way of knowing all the latest buzzword technology. It's not necessary outside of any type of specialization.

Security field is expanding by leaps and bounds due to government
mandates and increased security awareness among business leaders which
means you need tens of thousands of young people with nothing but a
college degree and maybe a security+ coming into the industry every
year.  The best you can hope for is a thorough non-technical exam such
as what we already have in the CISSP to verify that someone at least
knows the nomenclature required to discuss the subject at hand.

That would be a bad idea because you would be then arming them with security trivia to what-- talk the systems into giving up their problems? I am biased because I know there can be strong, technical certification based on field and specialty. We designed the OPST to be specific to the security tester, the OPSA to be specific to the security analyst, and the OWSE to be specific to spectrum (aka wireless) analysts. All are technical in regards to proving a certified person is capable of efficiently working with technical systems and get meaningful and accurate results. Many times the "new" technology does not change much in the way of how these professionals operate. For example, an OPST is as capable of testing the latest of cloud computing as they are to test old school infrastructure. It is not because all these things are covered but that they are taught how to apply a formal methodology to any type of test by learning how they need to understand the underlying technology.

Sincerely,
-pete.