Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Federally Mandated Certification of cybersecurity professionals?

From: John Bambenek <bambenek.infosec () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:10:43 -0500

Because the US federal government is oh so good at weeding out unscrupulous people?

Louis Brooks wrote:
A nationally recognized certification program could lead to a more professional view of our field. Right now anyone with a laptop, nmap and Nessus can call themselves a cybersecurity professional. A minimum standard would at least lend some creditability to the title. It would also allow for a way of regulating the industry to weed out people who are less scrupulous. It is something that should be watched closely by the industry and hopefully they will bring in all the stake holders for comment. The last thing we want is for politicians with no knowledge of the technology or industry making knee jerk legislation without our input.

Louis Brooks
Network Security Analyst
Florida State University

Shenk, Jerry A wrote:

This whole thing reminds me of when I was a kid. I lived (and still do) in Lancaster, PA where the Amish are. My dad had a business giving buggy rides to tourists. There was a push for awhile to have buggy drivers (aimed at the Amish, not us) licensed. We joked about that...how would the local cops know who passed? I wonder about this with all the big plans to have the government control cybersecurity (ah, such a cool word). And, they're doing the same thing with forensic certification. They've certainly done a great job with monetary policy;)....every time anybody touches anything, it gets worse. I'm just not sure I trust the "smartest people in the room";)