Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: reporting a web site breach

From: "David Glosser" <david.glosser () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 15:35:16 -0400

so, you are suggesting, at a minimum, the web site should pay for free
credit reports and optional credit-freezes for all customers as part
of this class-action... hmmmm....

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Chris Finley <cfinley () u washington edu> wrote:

Should Jason file a class-action lawsuit on behalf of the customers of
the site?
Hear me out :)

He said that he is a customer of the web site, so now his data is
exposed, along with many other customers.

The data may have been stolen already, a goal of the lawsuit should be
to determine this, for the benefit of the site's customers.

A minimum level of protection for personal and financial information can
be expected from customers of a web site.

The owner feels the financial losses from fixing the security issue
(downtime) outweighs the risk to the customers. Until this changes,
security will be poor. The site owner should have some fear that
exposing customers to risk will have a financial cost.

Your responses are appreciated,
Chris