Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: reporting a web site breach

From: "Email Cash" <and.email.cash () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:04:27 -0700

A reporter friend of mine says he contacted Jason. He went after Chase
bank for putting their login prompt on the non-https homepage, and
they had https up within a week. Hopefully he can do something here,
too.

On 10/16/08, Jason Ross <algorythm () gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 7:46 PM, David Glosser <david.glosser () gmail com> wrote:

 > But beyond the "contact us" page, I didn't see any information on the
 > pcisecuritystandards web site.
 > Aren't they just a standards organization?

Yes. As they define themselves:

 "PCI SSC is the standards body that maintains the payment card
 industry standards, including the PCI DSS and PA-DSS."
   (from the Audit Procedures guide (PDF):
 http://selfservice.talisma.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=5767&var=1)

 A couple of other relevant quotes from the PCI (found by submitting
 the question of whom to contact about violations, they display a
 "before you submit this, are any of these links helpful" list. I'm
 unsure what the connection between the PCI site and the server/domain
 these questions are hosted at is, but the PCI site linked to these so
 I view them as 'official', YMMV. Note to, I've formatted the text. The
 initial text was all jumbled together making it tough to read. Click
 the links if you wish to see them in their original horribleness ;-)

 "What are the consequences to my business if I do not comply with the PCI DSS?

 The PCI Security Standards Council encourages all businesses that
 store payment account data to comply with the PCI DSS to help lower
 their brand and financial risks associated with account payment data
 compromises. The PCI Security Standards Council does not manage
 compliance programs and does not impose any consequences for
 non-compliance.

 Individual payment brands, however, may have their own compliance
 initiatives, including financial or operational consequences to
 certain businesses that are not compliant. "
   - http://selfservice.talisma.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=5319&var=1

 "What are the fines and penalties assessed to companies for
 non-compliance with the PCI DSS?
 Any fines and/or penalties associated with non-compliance with the PCI
 DSS and/or confirmed security breaches are defined by each of the
 payment card brands.

 For more specific information, please contact the individual payment
 card brands.
 For a better understanding of roles and responsibilities, please refer to:

 American Express - DSOP http://www.americanexpress.com/datasecurity
 Email: American.Express.Data.Security () aexp com
 Discover - DISC
 http://www.discovernetwork.com/resources/data/data_security.html
 Email: askdatasecurity () discoverfinancial com
 JCB - TBD http://www.jcb-global.com/english/pci/index.html Email:
 riskmanagement () jcbati com
 MasterCard – Site Data Protection (SDP) http://www.mastercard.com/sdp
 Email: sdp () mastercard com
 Visa - Account Information Security (AIS) & Cardholder Information
 Security Program (CISP)
 Visa AIS - Asia Pacific
 http://www.visa-asia.com/ap/sea/merchants/riskmgmt/ais.shtml
 Visa AIS - Canada www.visa.ca/ais
 Visa AIS - Central Europe, Middle East, & Africa
 http://www.visacemea.com/ac/ais/data_security.jsp Email:
 CemeaAIS () visa com
 Visa AIS - Europe http://www.visaeurope.com/aboutvisa/security/ais
 Email: datasecuritystandards () visa com
 Visa AIS - Latin America & Caribbean www.visalatam.com/ais Email:
 aislac () visa com
 Visa CISP - United States http://www.visa.com/cisp Email: cisp () visa com. "
   - http://selfservice.talisma.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=5376&var=1

 So, in other words, as a few have already stated, contacting the PCI
 SSC for violations is unlikely to be helpful, and contacting the
 individual card brand is encouraged.

 --

Jason