Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: OSCP

From: Stephen Argent <stephen () greyhat-security com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 11:37:45 +1030

Thanks Mike, and to everyone else who replied. I think I will spend a
bit more time reading through my own materials, and then, when I have
the money, proceed to take the OSCP, if not just for the experience. You
input is much appreciated, thanks once again.

-Stephen

Mike Van Hoff wrote:
Hi Stephen,

My answer to your question is:  Yes I took the OffSec101 course and
achieved OSCP last Dec.

The class will prepare you for the Certification exam if you are a
"self started".  The exam is brutal in that it is an actual pentest
where you are given a set of IP addresses and a time limit to complete.

Comparing the course and exam to CEH, which I also have done, OffSec
is hands down the winner.  From reconnaissance to actually using your
brain OffSec will teach you more than the basics.
This class is not for the faint of heart.  It is for those who have a
goal, and are willing to put in the time to achieve that goal.

The cost is one third that of CEH, but the reward is 300 times.

It is well run, and the assistance via IRC is live 24x7.  try to get
that from another class, and what you learn in this class cannot be
taught in 5 days as in CEH or others.

I hope you take the class, as the best review you will get will be
from yourself.

Good luck.