Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Kaseya

From: H D Moore <sflist () digitaloffense net>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 14:33:25 -0500

<0.02>

If the "device" is actually a rogue SMB server, then it could proxy the
domain authentication through to the real server, and gain shell access
to the real server using the Kaseya account credentials. This is trivial
to do with the Metasploit smb_relay module.

This attack works on any software that authenticates to SMB services on
rogue machines with domain admin credentials (Nessus, Retina, asset
inventory systems, some system management tools, etc). The solution is
mandatory SMB signing, which most orgs can't implement for a dozen other
reasons. A workaround for vuln scanning software is to use a limited
access account that can perform the vuln check, but isn't allowed write
access to the file system or the Service Control Manager[1].

-HD

</0.02>

1. http://www.nessus.org/documentation/nessus_domain_whitepaper.pdf