Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PDA recommendation for running Mini-stumbler (maybe OT?)

From: "Security Basic" <security.basic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:27:22 +0530

Ministumber works very fine with Dell Axim.
HP Ipaq (6950) is bad for any such activity. Although the processor
power is very nice, but of no use.

I'll try ipaqlinux soon

--
~SB
http://exploitsearch.com

On Feb 11, 2008 9:26 AM, David M. Zendzian <dmz () dmzs com> wrote:
The problem with the nokia is that they only put 64M of RAM into it. Who
in this day & age thought of that with ram prices so cheap.

But with that in mind, and using the hacked OS2007 image i'm fairly
stable :) at least enough to run some "decent" apps (600 page ebook,
kismit, a few xterms, ssh, etc; never all at the same time...).  Just
don't load a lot of applets and extra apps, it is a small tablet.

http://maemo.org/community/wiki/Os2007On770

That's the link to the OS2007 for the 770. I still have some issues with
stability but i know it's 100% due to running out of ram & hitting swap.
It does run way too many daemons, but it is linux and you can tweek it
some :)

David

If you need more power, there is always the OQO of the sony. But they
are slightly bigger than the average PDA.

James, Jay wrote:
I bought a Nokia device especially for this purpose.
It wasn't stable and crashed frequently -- I figured it was because my son dropped it from 3 feet or so.
Fine, I give Nokia the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps a loose surface mount component... ok. Whatever, I get it.
Crash Crash Crash.

So I then bought another one.
It wasn't stable enough either and crashed almost as frequently (I was obsessed about keeping Juniors hands off of
it this time around).
Having 2 unstable Nokia devices are enough for me to perhaps inspire the pentester to think again about using even
one.
If someone has better luck with this, then good for you! I am jealous, as I have spent untold hours on mine trying
to get things to a point of stability.
As it is now, these are relegated to sitting on a shelf in the home lab.
The shelf is labeled "The Junk Shelf".

Spend and learn.

Jay James
INFOSEC