Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: PDA recommendation for running Mini-stumbler (maybe OT?)

From: "David M. Zendzian" <dmz () dmzs com>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 15:43:14 -0500

How about getting one of the Nokia N devices? You can find the 770 on ebay for about $120; then just run kismet, metasploit or whatever you need!

It doesn't include a phone, but it is small enough that you can get a small phone with bluetooth and it'll work anywhere. Plus then with a "normal" phone you'll get 2-3 days battery for your phone and much better reception (non-pda cell phones do get better battery life & signal strength, not to mention stability, my 3125 only turns off every 6-8 weeks!

But honestly the 770 is a great little device (get the 'testing' upgraded firmware, much better to work with), or if you want a keyboard the latest & greatest the N810 (479 though). It runs debian and has a good start of apt'able applications (or compile whatever you need, lots of documentation out there for it)..

David

Stevens, Dave wrote:
 I've got a HP ipaq "travel companion"...has the built in GPS...it is
unable to run ministumbler, however wififofum works well.  To be honest
with you, I am not that impressed with this unit and would not highly
recommend it.
Dave