Penetration Testing mailing list archives

RE: My Frustrations

From: "Alex Eden" <Alex.Eden () senet-int com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:13:48 -0500

I think pen testers that work without good business developers are probably
the most frustrated ones... It is not enough to know how to write an exploit
and wreck havoc on a network - here, in the States at least, your team needs
to have business acumen and ability to start, develop, and maintain good
client relationship. Just being a kewl super-duper hacker/cracker/pen tester
won't get anyone far.

The industry is sort of self-regulated now, and I strongly believe it should
remain self-regulated.

A good salesman can sell lame security appliance. Good business developer can
always sell his lame pen testers.

In the federal government community CISOs and contracting officers talk to
each other and prefer to work with vendors that have good reputation.