Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Autorun programs from flash drive.

From: "Shreyas Zare" <shreyas () technitium com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:48:51 +0530

Hi,

Windows wont Autorun on USB storage device automatically like in
CDROMs but will Autorun when user double clicks the Drive Icon in My
Comp. U3 on other hand would add a CDROM device which would make
windows Autorun *that* U3 CDROM hence U3 is indirectly achieving
Autorun on USB storage. Also, its pretty easy to stop Autorun feature
from registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
 Value=AutoRun, DWORD, Disable=0).

Regards,