Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Autorun programs from flash drive.

From: arckeda () yahoo com
Date: 16 Apr 2008 03:08:49 -0000

Hello, and thanks for reading this.  I am sure we are all know of the Autorun feature in Cdroms and Dvdroms, how the
program just runs out of the box.  I am trying to figure out how to include this functionality in flash drives.
/* I have a SD card with a USB adapter to test with. */
This would allow, say, for me to quickly insert a drive into a computer, have it silently run something like
Meterpreter or another backdoor program, and then have remote access to the computer, assuming Windows runs it and
doesn't detect a malicious program.  I understand that Windows by default will not run Autorun.inf by default on flash
drives, except the U3s.  But I have also heard that you can format a flash drive to look like a cdrom to Windows.  This
is about all I know.  If you have any more information, or would know about how to go about doing this, please tell me.
Thank you again.
     -ARCKEDA