Penetration Testing mailing list archives

Re: Tutorial on Wireless packet sniffing

From: Joey Peloquin <joeyp () cotse net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:55:55 -0500

Doug McFarland wrote:
If you don't like what your government is doing, get involved and force it
to change or leave...It's great living in a free country now (Not the USA).

You mean now that the civil war is over and the rebuilding is underway? I wish your new president luck in getting his initiatives passed, because it looks like he's fighting an uphill battle with his party only holding 51 seats.

For the record, I did a little research on this NNW business the day of Michael's post, and found no ties to the DHS whatsoever. I reported the organization to the DHS, EFF, and The Register. The EFF responded a short while later explaining they already knew about it, but nothing more.

One needs look no further than his blog [http://itp.nyu.edu/blogs/ecm292_thesis/] to know for certain this is completely bogus;

The NNWKAA v3 has moved away from a long form single object app into a
fully object oriented java app and has thus has helped with the handling and
compartmentalizing of data. The NNWKL is the latest version that uses the
ECHELON wordlist as its backbone and FBI / INTERPOL resources as well.

When was the last time you heard the government admit it even exists, much less that they shared the "wordlist" with a college student? AFAIK, the only thing they've admitted to is "signal intelligence".

I'm convinced the NNW is his thesis project, nothing more.

-jp

--
"Companies will say, "We can Web 2.0ify your existing applications in 15 minutes - we've got a wrapper". These people are charlatans, and you should punch them in the face. They are taking your back-end database tiers and moving them to the perimeter." - Billy Hoffman, HPSW Security Labs